Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


Today's book is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. I can honestly say this book changed my view of life and death. It is incredibly moving, and poignant. It is about a young boy who's father dies in the World Trade Center on September 11th. It is a very interesting journey through his young mind as he works through the grief of losing his father, and his mother starting to move on. Though it may not seem like it could be, it is actually laugh out loud funny at times. Other times, you cannot help but cry with him. 

One of the most interesting aspects of this book, is the fact that it is a sort of graphic novel. There are pictures, which are "collected" by the little boy. There are also very interesting literary techniques that Foer uses which may surprise you. With this book, he has truly made a name for himself in the literary world as a very creative, smart author. This book is definitely worth your time!

I would rate this book PG-13, due to a few swear words, and some interesting things his little boy mind thinks about. Nothing horrible, just typical boy curiosity.

2 comments:

  1. very cool blog...I am going to have to start reading again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite books! I fell in love with Oscar, the little boy and main character. He did make me laugh out loud many, many times! I loved the way that Oscar helped many others to move forward with thier lives (in a happy way), as he was working through the grief of losing his father. Oscar's relationships with his mother, father, and grandparents were very moving. The way that the author dealt with death and the grieving process was extremely interesting.

    ReplyDelete